Dr. MGR Educational & Research Institute (Deemed) University is located within the accessible city limits, the university is spread over 250 acres of land, with a built – up area of over 2.52 million square meters. A deemed university since 2003, it offers Diplomas, Degrees, PG degrees and Doctorates in Engineering & Technology, Dentistry, Humanities and Sciences. The University holds the proud recognition of National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) which has awarded the university third rank in India with a ‘A’ credit rating to it with Graded Autonomy Status. The campus has within it the A.C.S. Convention Center one of the largest in Chennai city having accommodation facility for more than 9000 persons where international and national conferences, seminars, convocation ceremony, cultural activities are held.
Bank Extension Counter
A nationalized bank runs an extension counter within the premises for the convenience of our students and staff.
201 Laboratories are available which are equipped with the state of the art equipments with high end computers & air-conditioned facilities. Laboratories are geared up to support research and executing funded projects.
University has its well built and facilitated library with large collection of books with wide range of subjects. Upgraded facilities are provided – Automation using Barcode system; Digital Library; Journals and e-journals, accessible to students and staff.
University has huge & well ventilated hostel facilities separately for Boys and Girls with all modern facilities with attached toilets. The facilities are closer to the University and the students to reach their Classrooms, labs, library and the students hardly spend their time for ravel and hence could focus more on their studies. All the rooms are clean, spacious and well furnished. Separate facilities for the purpose of serving vegetarian and non-vegetarian food.
COACHING & TRAINING
Students of Hotel Management & Catering Technology are provided the best of Coaching & Training. The department has well qualified faculty members who are also experienced in their specific fields. Students learn the concepts well, so that their understanding of the subjects is total in order to get into smaller details. It is important that the students are well versed in the subjects as the knowledge is the pre-requisite for learning, practicing and perfecting their skills.
The Faculty members have years of experience and the department provides opportunities to enable the faculty members to update their knowledge and skills in keeping with the latest trends in the industry.
Faculty development programs are conducted periodically when the faculty members are exposed to the sessions conducted by the industry experts.
In regard to the Curriculum and the actual Syllabus, the department takes utmost care that the students learning is quite contemporary keeping the basics strong. As a part of the deemed University HMCT has specially constituted the Board of education, the members of which periodically review the Curriculum and Syllabus and do the revamping of syllabus found necessary keeping in mind the industry practices.
TRAINING FOR SKILLS
Practical Training is the most important part of the learning for the students of Hotel Management Catering Technology. While knowledge is essential for every student passing out of the college, it is looked at as to how well he / she performs practically.
Practical learning is therefore considered very essential and towards that the best of opportunities are provided to the students.
INDUSTRY EXPOSURE TRAINING
Exposure to Industrial Training is an integral part of the IV Semester Curriculum. Industrial Training for 22 weeks is offered to every student. The students are deputed to different Star Hotels to go through this Industry Exposure Training obtaining their concurrence. 20% of the marks are ear-marked for the industry to assess the performance of each student, of which the hotel administration assesses and sends the marks in the Performance Appraisal Form (PAF). The balance 80% of the marks is assessed on the basis of Seminar / Presentation before a select panel.
QUALITIES REQUIRED FROM THE TRAINEE
- Up-to-date maintenance of the training logbook
- Attentive meticulous work
- Keen to learn and maintain high standards and quality of work
- Positive interaction with the hotel staff
- Honesty and loyalty to the hotel and towards the training program.
- Appraisals to be signed regularly from the HOD or training manager
- Maximum utilization of the training program to get maximum practical knowledge and skills
- Regularity in attending training review sessions classes
- Preparedness for the arduous working condition and to face it positively
- Adherence to the prescribed training schedule
- Taking initiative to do the work to get maximum exposure
- On completion of Industrial training, hand over all the reports, appraisals, logbook and completion certification to the University
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Give proper briefing to students prior to the industrial training.
- Make the students aware of the industry environment and expectations.
- Notify the details of training schedule to all the students
- Coordinate regularly with the hotel especially with the training manager
- Visit the hotel, wherever possible, to check on the trainees
- Sort out any problems between the trainees and the hotel
- Take proper feedback from the students after the training
- Brief the students about the appraisals, attendance, marks, logbook and training report.
- Ensure that change of I.T. hotel is not permitted once the student has been interviewed, selected and the student has accepted the offer.
- Ensure trainees procure training completion certificate from the hotel before joining the department.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HOTEL:
First Exposure: A young trainee’s first industry exposure is likely to be the most influential in his / her career. If the managers / supervisors are unable / unwilling to help the young trainees develop skills, the latter will set lower standards than they are actually capable of achieving. Their self-images will be impaired and they would develop negative attitudes towards training, industry and – in all probability – their own careers in the industry. Since the chances of building successful careers in the industry will decline, the trainees will leave in hope of finding other opportunities, if on the other hand, first managers / supervisors help trainees achieve their maximum potential, they will build the foundations for a successful career.
- Give proper briefing session / orientation / induction prior to the commencement of training.
- Make a standardized training module for all trainees
- Strictly follow the structured training schedule
- Ensure full attendance of the trainees during the program.
- Check with trainees regarding appraisals, training report log book, etc.
- Inform the Department about the truant trainees
- Allow the students to interact with the Guest to help them gain confidence.
- Specify industrial trainings “Dos and Don’ts for the trainee.
- Ensure that the completion of Certificate is issued to trainees on the last day of the training.
The department aims to systematically impart full-fledged knowledge & skills in Hotel Management & Catering Technology and prepares the students to become industry-ready professionals. The objectives focused upon are:
- To provide complete knowledge in Culinary Sciences – including history, hierarchy, equipment and tools, stock sauces, soups, food commodities and basic of bakery and confectionary.
- To equip students with knowledge & skills related to Kitchens and cooking methods.
- To develop proficiency in the principles of cooking in Basic western cuisine; Indian cuisine, Bakery & Patisserie.
- To impart proficient skills in Food and Beverage Service Operations.
- To provide knowledge and impart hands-on skills in day to day operations of hospitality industry.
- To prepare students to maintain the highest standards in Hygiene & Sanitation with regard to food, premises and equipments used in the hotel industry.
- To mould the students as future managers by imparting ability for articulation of the technical knowledge with confidence & agility and strengthening their oral and written communication skills.
- To acquaint the students with the concepts of economics, accounting processes and practices, financial decision making tasks, statistical analyses of data about cost & pricing relevant to Hospitality industry & International Business.
- To make the students comfortable in the usage of major hardware and generic application software (MIS, Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Presentation and MS Access) used in the hospitality industry.
- To familiarize with foreign languages so that for students the whole world becomes a place for career progression.
- To provide in-depth knowledge in the production and service of alcoholic beverages and knowledge required to work efficiently at managerial level in bars.
- To familiarize them with the responsibilities of Executive housekeeper which includes detailed analysis of planning, organizing, policies, procedures and service design for the housekeeping department aiming towards customer satisfaction.
- To provide in-depth knowledge about engineering infrastructure plant, machinery, equipment & operations, industrial safety, fire fighting and environmental management system.
- To create awareness about nutrition in personal health care & nutrition throughout the life cycle, importance of macro and micro nutrients for promotion of health, effect of heat on the macro nutrients and about food choices and food habits.
- To familiarize students with opportunities in National and International tourism.
- To provide extensive knowledge and exposure in Front office operations of Hospitality industry & transportation industry.
- Students are encouraged and emboldened to become entrepreneurs by imparting knowledge about
- Kitchen systems and procedures
- Menu planning
- Volume feeding
- Setting up housekeeping department in a new hotel.
- Team building
- People management
- Marketing skills
- Event Management
- Managing Food & Beverage Service outlets & ODCS
- E-Commerce & Revenue management
The department ensures that the following ‘Program Outcomes’ prevail continuously by systematically imparting full-fledged knowledge & skills in Hotel Management & Catering Technology and prepares the students to become industry- ready professionals:
- Skills to do interpersonal communications & manage employees in the levels below according to hospitality settings.
- Knowledge and Skills in communication – verbal and written – in regional &,national and familiarization in foreign languages
- Knowledge to analyze situations, identify problems, formulate solutions and implement corrective and / or mitigating measures and action.
Hospitality business – overview
- Demonstrable technical skills and an in-depth knowledge about the products, procedures and different methods of service
- Ability to do activities effectively and efficiently to the standards expected in the operations required in the tourism industry / hospitality sectors.
- Knowledge about the principles of business law and ethics and global business etiquette.
- Ability to demonstrate a general understanding and skills to perform sales, marketing and brand positioning functions in hospitality industry
- Knowledge about costing & pricing of beverage and the various control tools
- Knowledge about contracts, pricing methods and purchase polices and budgeting. Knowledge on how Pricing is done and how profit planning & projections are made.
- Knowledge about the principles of facility management, organization chart, planning of space for office and other support services.
Kitchen & Culinary
- Complete knowledge about different types of Kitchen, its layout design, selection of equipment and its Staffing, Care and Attitude to prevail in kitchen operations.
- Practical knowledge about the functional organization in bulk food preparation, layout of the food production, ancillary departments and various equipments used for production & safe handling.
- Definitive Knowledge about different of raw materials and their nuances, their preparation for cooking and the effect of cooking on them.
- Ability to demonstrate skills and knowledge required of professional culinarians and apply them to commercial kitchen operations.
- A firsthand knowledge about the menu planning and also various methods of cooking food.
- Ability to understand and select the right ingredients and to know the various cuts of vegetable, fish, meat & meat products for day to day culinary preparations in relation to their uses
- Professional knowledge in large scale food production for different types of catering establishments, Ability to apply the principles of menu making and compile various menus for different functions.
- Ability to effectively supervise kitchen and food production systems and knowledge to monitor the safety and quality system control adopted in industry.
- Detailed knowledge of Indian cuisine with respect to geographical and historical influences and traditional / festival foods of different regions of India and capacity to produce them.
- Knowledge about Culinary terms, accompaniments and garnishes in Indian cuisine and about their storage.
- Definitive knowledge about the control cycle in the production department and the working of F & B controls .
- Knowledge about the fast food concepts, history and functioning of fast food units.
- Practical knowledge about the ingredients used in stock, sauces, soups of continental cookery, Accompaniment & garnishes and masalas, gravies and staple food of Indian cookery.
- Thorough skills related to various activities of gardemanger section and knowledge about the equipment usage connected to it.
- Confident grasp of the concepts of bakery and its products. & Practical knowledge of different ingredients and their storage. Ability to demonstrate work in a professional bakery.
- Proficiency in preparation of gateaux, icing, chocolate and ice- cream.
Food & Beverage Service
- Hands-on skills in handling various types of service equipment in the restaurant and also the nuances involved in food service.
- Knowledge about the methods of processing and categorization of wines and characteristics of the wine producing regions in France, and in-depth knowledge of the service of wines. Knowledge about the processes involved in making of the spirit & beer.
- Ability to prepare all Non- alcoholic beverages.
- Ability to do menu engineering, gueridon service, bar planning and methods of control and knowledge about bar procedures and legal requirements for bar.
Travel & Tourism
- Knowledge about the Importance of Tourism & about places of importance, different aspects of tourism industry, planning and execution of Tour plans – National and International.
- Knowledge about Travel planning, execution, & planning of Lodging, Food & beverage requirements.
- Knowledge about hierarchy of front office department, their responsibilities, types of rooms, tariff and different plans in a hotel and procedures to take a booking and to tackle problems regarding reservation.
- Definitive Knowledge about accommodation management, effective handling of guest complaints & thorough knowledge about the front office security function and confident working knowledge about the various procedures involved in baggage handling left out baggage and Check in & Check-out procedures etc.
- Knowledge about the role of executive housekeeper for proper administration and the procedures followed in staffing, training programs for fresh recruits, understanding about man power planning and evaluation of job performance, etc.
- Knowledge about the layout of the room, importance of redecoration and refurbishment, about the safety and first aid procedures, as applicable to housekeeping personnel.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the principles & procedures to be observed to maintain Hygiene and Sanitation standards.
- Working knowledge about Cleanliness Cleaning services and handling of the cleaning gadgets.
- Full-fledged Knowledge about the various cleaning materials and agents and their usage to ensure maintaining of proper hygiene & sanitation standards of the industry.
- Knowledge about the various aspects of interior decoration, and idea about various flower arrangements., the role of wall, floors, and window treatment of design, colour, lighting, and the role of, furniture and fixture, accessories, decoration for special occasions.
- Definitive knowledge about different types of fabrics used for hospitality industry, its manufacturing and quality judging skills. And also ability to Identify the hotel linen with a clear knowledge about the linen room and the sewing room operations in the hotels.
- Comprehensive knowledge about the operation and management of the uniform, laundry and handling of uniform and guest laundry. Understanding of different methods of stain removal.
- Overall knowledge about stock taking procedures followed in housekeeping department and its importance.
- Adept knowledge and hands on experience in pest control applications.
- Thorough knowledge about the banquet department and its functions.
- Knowledge of accounting procedures for various revenue streams and expenses. Knowledge about fundamental aspects of book- keeping work, ledger posting, preparation of cash book, entering bank transactions, preparation of trial balance and a good grasp of final accounts.
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR A HOTEL MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL
Commitment, Interpersonal skills, Listening skills, Technical skills, Communication skills, Hospitality skills, Flexibility, Teamwork, Leadership, Attention to details, excellent social skills, Discipline
PROFICIENCY ENHANCEMENT COURSES
- Garde Manger Class of Carving
- Master Patisserie – Hands on classes on Pastry and Bakery finger skills
- Plate presentation skills
- Mocktail creativity
- Language (Tamil, English, Hindi, Spanish, German, French, Russian, Japanese, Chinese & Arabic)
- Communication (Written, Presentation and Oral)
- Learning from Leaders
- Soft Skill Training
- Personality Development
- Basic Food & Beverage Service – I
- Basic Front Office Operations – I
- Food Science, Nutrition and Food Safety
- Basic Food Production & Patisserie Practical
- Basic Accommodation Operations
- Food and Beverage Operations
- Hospitality Accounts
- Quantity Food Production Operations practical
- Industrial Exposure Training 22 Weeks in a 4/5 star Category hotel
- International Cuisine& Food Production Management
- Entrepreneurial Development
- Hospitality & Services Marketing
- Advanced Food & Beverage Service Practical
- International Cuisine & Food Production Management Practical
- Hotel Costing & Financial Management
A minimum percentage of marks required in 12th standard (Intermediate/CBSE/Board examination)
3 Years/6 Semesters
INDUSTRY EXPOSURE PROGRAMS
- On the job training
- Outdoor catering exposure
- Industrial visits
- Social outreach programmes
- Market survey and Market research courses
AREAS OF WORK
- Airlines, Railway and Military catering services
- Food and hygiene inspectors, quality assurance and managers, FSSAI
- Food journalist and critic, Tourism Development Officers
- Star Hotels, Resorts, Airlines, Cruise lines, Heritage and Tourism sites
RESEARCH & SCIENCE
- Nutritionist, Research Chef, Biotech research
MEDIA & JOURNALISM
- Food reviewer, food journalist, culinary television promoter
- Culinary travel guide, food and cuisine promoters
- Restaurants and hotels, food distribution, tourism related business
- Food processing units, canning and preservation
- Food marketing, event management